Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Competition: Week 1

I'll try and keep this concise, but I'm not great at that :)

Channing and Phillip--Jive

I almost never like the jives on SYTYCD. However, I thought Jason Gilkinson's choreography was very fun. Channing's legs are phenomenal. Phillip's tap experience clearly paid off tonight. The routine looked fun and good as far as jives go. I agreed with Adam dubbing these two a "classy partnership." Also, Adam has great constructive comments. I'm really glad he's permanent.

Ashleigh and Jakob--Broadway

Being in unison in your dancing doesn't directly relate to chemistry, which I thought was lacking. The choreography seemed really focused on Jakob, which I didn't mind but it also bailed Ashleigh out. The routine was about what I expected from a stupid partnership. I disagree with Adam's comment that it was smart choreography. I also disagree with Mary's use of the term "phenomenal." And of course I agree with Nigel's assessment that Jakob is one of the most gifted dancers to ever appear on the show.

Ariana and Peter--Hip Hop

This choreography was so classically Tabitha and Napoleon. Peter looked more natural in the movement than Ariana. Overall, I loved the routine. It was fun and clean.


(Noelle) and Russell--Fox Trot

Let me preface this by saying I hate the fox trot. That said, Russell definitely held his own. It was weird to watch him perform with Melanie, but you've got to love this guy.

Bianca and Victor--Contemporary

Travis Wall is a genius. Bianca seems cocky in her interviews. From Victor's beginning ronde de jambe on the ground, I was hooked on him. The choreography just worked so well. I LOVED the part with her on the ground staying connected to him as he walked. About halfway through I had to admit that as much as I dislike Bianca, I thoroughly loved this dance. That's not to say that my eye ever left Victor, because it didn't, but Bianca helped create a fabulous routine.


Karen and Kevin--Cha Cha


As an unrelated sidenote: he is
such a pretty guy! He has awkward hands when he dances. The contrast in their outfits didn't help with the eye's natural tendency to go to her. I never really got into the routine, although Adam's comments about "hips" not normally being his thing had me rolling. Overall, Karen is hot and Kevin has potential.

Ellenore and Ryan--Contemporary Jazz


Sonya is such a character! I never really
get her, but I so frequently love what she does. Ryan is obviously just such a great partner for lifts. And Ellenore has beautiful leg extension.

Pauline and Brandon--Smooth Waltz

He looks like a young (meaning small, inexperienced, undeveloped) dancer. I felt a little bit like I was watching a high school social dance routine. Once they were into the lifts it went a little better, but not tons. Hearing that Brandon had re-joined the show just a day and a half ago did make me more impressed with the level of the routine. Nigel hit it on the head with his "prom couple" comment.

Kathryn and Legacy--Hip Hop


As soon as I heard that these two were partners, I was okay with them both just being gone. But then I heard Dave Scott was the choreographer and had to admit that I almost always like his work. At the beginning I was struck by how good Kathryn looked and was forced to acknowledge that I'm judgmental and needed to give them a fair chance. In the end, it was the absolute most I could have liked these two dancers in a routine.


Mollee and Nathan--Disco

I decided that my main issue with Mollee is that she is a stereotypical jazz dancer. She is all about technique and not at all about the heart. So, I suppose she was lucky that she picked disco for her first week because it's very much rooted in the performance. I was unimpressed with the routine. The partner work--aside from the lifts--looked hard and disconnected. I don't ever like disco routines and this one was worse than usual for me. I'm sorry, but I really disagreed with the judges on this one. What they see as charisma and energy with this couple I see as nothing more than childishness.
Sidenote from Jess: I thought Mollee couldn't do the routine full out. She just wasn't moving fast enough. The lifts were amazing but all the other movement looked a little frantic.


My reaction to the 4 in danger tonight was...


Ariana: okay

Brandon: that's only fair

Pauline: okay

Russell: WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!


Based on solos alone I thought Pauline and Brandon should go. They both showed us nothing. Jess disagrees with Wendy here. I thought Pauline showed some good technique in her solo. I thought it was unclear even what their styles were. In the end, I was fine with Ariana leaving as well as Brandon. However, I think it's really sad all he's been through, being cut from the Top 20, coming back with limited rehearsal time before tonight, dancing for his life, and then being cut again. I really respect him for his poise through that all.


And finally, if Russell has to dance for his life again any time soon, I might have a heart attack!
Did you watch the show tonight? What were your thoughts? Which routines stood out the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment